|Thomas Jackson, OBS|
Official portrait of Jackson, c.1814
|First Association Chairman, the North Point Company|
|Died||2 April 1848|
Jacksonville, North Point
|Allegiance|| North Point|
|Service/branch||North Point Company|
Ports League (former)
Thomas Jackson, OBS (c.1764 - 2 April 1848) was a Praetonian naval captain, naturalist, geographer, surveyor, Common Law theorist, pirate hunter, industrialist, ethnologist, and hatmaker who administrated the North Point Company. He is considered the father of North Point.
Born in Endsland in 1764, Jackson became a midshipman aboard the Ports League sailing frigate Quality in 1788. Passing for Lieutenant in 1796, Jackson was posted to the barque Encounter, and sailed to modern day North Point during the ship's expedition of 1798.
The 1798 expedition mapped the hazardous shoals of the Great North Point Banks and surveyed the rugged interior of Lauderdale Island. A party led by Jackson summitted the 6,000 ft peak of Pu'u Hoku at the north end of the island. Encounter's expedition lasted for two years, during which Jackson became well acquainted with the islands, the settler towns, and the natives and their customs.
Returning to Praetonia in 1800, Jackson was approached by a group of investors to administrate the Praetonian North Point Company (PNPC). He returned to North Point aboard Encounter, having bought the ship from the Ports League for 10,000 golden guineas. He oversaw the development of the Lochlan Plot, the establishment of Providence Town, and the steady expansion of the PNPC's ownership of territory on Grand Island. Jackson also commanded Providence Squadron from 1810 onward, leading the force to victory over pirates in eastern North Point.
In 1825, the PNPC was reorganized as the North Point Company and Jackson became the first Association Chairman. He retired from the position in 1834, spending his remaining years in Providence Town before his death of natural causes in 1848. For his work in uniting North Point under the common law, he was granted the honorific Order of the Broken Sceptre in 1840.