Providence Squadron

From Statesmanship
Jump to: navigation, search

Providence Squadron was a naval squadron funded and equipped by the Praetonian North Point Company in 1807. The squadron grew to become the most powerful naval force assembled in North Point, and in a concerted 1810-1814 campaign, it virtually eliminated organized piracy in the region. It was reorganized as the North Point Sea Command in 1851.

Strength 1807

  • Barque Encounter (14 guns)
  • Sloop Abigail (10 guns)
  • Schooner Brighton Road Court (10 guns) - wrecked March 1808 Rainbow Reef
  • Brig Boxer (10 guns)

Strength 1811

  • Corvette Hotspur (22 guns)
  • Corvette Valparaiso (20 guns)
  • Barque Encounter (14 guns)
  • Sloop Abigail (10 guns)
  • Sloop Perry (8 guns)
  • Topsail schooner Boxer (12 guns) - rerigged as topsail schooner 1809
  • Brig Oceanic Charity (10 guns)